West Point Presbyterian Church is an active, growing community of faith, that embraces our calling to be "reformed and ever reforming!" We're a caring, inclusive, worshiping fellowship of believers... and we'd love to have you and your family join us on our journey; Seeking, Serving & Sharing, Jesus Christ!
Each Sunday we begin the Lord's Day with a Coffeehouse Fellowship (coffee and doughnuts) at 9:30 am, followed by Sunday school for all ages at 9:50 am. At 11:00 am we gather in the Sanctuary for Traditional Worship. Every 3rd Sunday, following Worship, we host a Fellowship Luncheon in Davis Hall for the congregation and guests. Wednesday Mid-Week services are scheduled for 6-week sessions several times each year!
Community outreach and service are important hallmarks of WPPC! We proudly support the Chattahoochee Council of the Boy Scouts, the West Point Food Closet, the Interfaith Food Pantry, Meals-on-Wheels (West Point), and we're a "Partner in Education" with West Point Elementary School. WPPC has also led the construction of two homes in West Point, one for Habitat for Humanity, the other for the Fuller Center for Housing. WPPC is a member of the Presbytery of the South, An Evangelical Covenant Order of Presbyterians (www.eco-pres.org)
WPPC is honored to serve as the chapel for Point University's West Point Campus. Each week college students gather in the Sanctuary for worship. WPPC also provides a weekly service of Holy Communion (every Monday at 8:30 am) for the students, faculty & staff, and the entire West Point Community.
All this is but a sampling of WPPC's community involvement and avenues of outreach! You are welcomed to join us as we work together to further the Kingdom of God!
On December 30, 1837, a group of thirteen people met in the home of Thomas S. Reese. During this meeting, West Point Presbyterian Church was organized by the South Alabama Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church - making West Point Presbyterian Church the second oldest organized church within the city limits of West Point, Georgia.
This handful of people began to meet once a month for worship services in a nearby log cabin. Fifteen years later (July 30, 1852 to be exact!) the fifty member congregation built and dedicated its first "church" building, located at the corner of Avenue G and 19th Street, the present location of Sweet Georgia Brown's Antique Store (the old Skinner Furniture Building). The building straddled the Alabama-Georgia state line with the minister preaching from the pulpit in Alabama and the congregation listening while seated in Georgia! And interestingly enough, the History of the City of Lanett, Alabama (West Point's neighbor to the west) considers West Point Presbyterian the "First Church" established in Lanett (see, "The Story of Bluffton-Lanett Alabama," Paragon Press, 1971. Page 59)! During the Civil War, a silver communion service that was given to the West Point Presbyterian Church by Mrs. Anna Storey Reese in 1840, was hidden under the front steps of the church for safekeeping. Today, this 179-year-old communion service is preserved and displayed in the History Room. The original building of West Point Presbyterian was severely damaged twice by flood, once in 1886 and again in 1919. In 1920, Mr. Isham Stanley, the Senior Elder, was killed when the wood-framed building was completely destroyed by a cyclone. The congregation held services in the local Jewish Synagogue until the present building, located at Fifth Avenue and West 10th Street was completed in 1923. This same storm also destroyed the local Episcopal Church, the third-floor of a local Theatre, and the steeple of First Baptist Church.
The "new" Sanctuary was dedicated, free of debt, at the centennial commemoration on December 12, 1937, with four of its former pastors present. A modern educational building was dedicated in 1962, including John E. Davis Hall, the church's Fellowship Hall. In 2010, the church dedicated Kirk Hall as a facility for High School and College Student Ministries and includes a "stage" for bands, a coffee-bar, and sofas for Bible study and fellowship. In 2011, Davis Hall was renovated, improving our ability to host fellowship and community events. And in 2014, Davis Hall was expanded (doubled in size) to better serve the congregation and community.
The present church family supports a full church program; including Wednesday activities, children's and Youth classes, and three adult Sunday school classes: The Stanley Class (named in honor of the Stanley Family); The Turner Class (named in honor of Marie & Robert Turner); and The Cathey Class (named in honor of Vance & Margaret Cathey).